Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ragnar 2011- Part 2

Decorating the van the night before.  We were the "Story Bookers."  Everyone dressed up like a character from a book or nursery rhyme. 
Michael was the Big Bad Wolf.  As you can see from his drawing, he was very fierce.  Or at least possessed.
 Allie was very disappointed James had driven away with the kids before he could draw for the team.  I think this was a mouse from Cinderella (also possessed), Jack-be-nimble's candlestick, and a random frog.
 Humpty Dumpty
This sword taped to the wiper was our mascot.  It glowed in the dark.  We were hoping to turn on the wipers so you could see the sword slashing the air through the darkness.
 Slumber party at Kristen and Alex's house the night before.  I don't think anyone was able to sleep.
 Getting geared up for the start.  As you can see from John's face, it was very cold.


Allie was runner one.  We began at 6:15 a.m. and finished shortly after noon the next day.  You can see the slap bracelet on my left wrist.  There wasn't a baton.  The slap bracelet was very convenient.  Some wore it on their arms, or even ankle.
Tessa offered me her gloves just prior to leaving.  The Holy Ghost whispers to children.  She saved me.  But the rest of my body was hot.  At my very first water-stop, I begged Maegan to rip my pants off (I had layered well).

I finished my first leg much faster than anticipated.  In fact, the next runner was in line for the outhouse when he heard the announcement that team #198 was a half-mile away from the exchange.  He had to wait.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Good for you, Allie. Way to finish before you thought. Looks like a great experience, and I'm glad Tessa offered up her gloves.