Tuesday, October 4, 2011

God's Miracle

On Saturday, God granted me a tender mercy by allowing me to finish my race, even on an injured knee.  The pain was very real and ever present at the start, but I was able to keep going until mile 5 when I realized I couldn't feel the pain any more.  I didn't qualify for the Boston, but I was able to break 4 hours with a personal best of 3:59:09.  That's 45 minutes faster than last year's marathon!
 Picking up my number.
 Taping my knees with kinesio tape for support.
 A breakfast of champions (and encouragement from one awesome mother).

 Loading onto the buses at 4:00 a.m.

 James, Annette, Eliza and kids at the start of the mayor's walk.  Very tired kiddos at 7:00 a.m.
 Tired after jogging for two miles. 
 Jane Guthrie, my most enthusiastic supporter.
 Kids waiting for the first finishers.
 Allie and Bill at the end of the race.  We finished within 15 minutes of each other.
 Allie and Grandma walking back to the car.  Stiffness hadn't set in yet.
 Blisters from shoes I never got an opportunity to run in after my injury.

6 comments:

Lloyd Family said...

Luckily I have not given my talk yet so I can add "the rest of the story" to it. Great job Allie. You are amazing.

Lori Thornbrue said...

Fantastic. Now you've just done another marathon of being a sick mom with a sick family. One amazing woman.
Love you.
(Grandma, grandpa, Cena and Jalna all got sick, too)

Sariah Marie Hafen said...

That is an awesome PR Allie! Way to push through the pain. I cannot wait to see next yeat!

Melissa said...

Way to go! So awesome that you were able to make it in under four hours even with your injury!

Aunt Leah said...

Ouch! That blister looks tender!!!
Congratulations on the race.

Angela said...

Somehow I've missed reading blogs for the last month... sheesh October was busy!! I still can't believe you were able to run the whole marathon, what a miracle! How are you now???