Saturday, September 10, 2011

Getting Ready for St. George 2011

I have been training for seven months to complete a race I've run three times now.  The difference is, this will be the first time I am running for time, and not just to finish.  I want to qualify for the Holy Grail of all marathons:  The Boston. 

Unfortunately, this year the Boston is lowering their qualifying cut-off by five minutes, which means I have only 12 seconds at each aid station if I am going to maintain my 8-minute-mile pace.  I have only 3:35:00 to run 26.2 miles.  For a short person like me with a tiny stride, there is no room for error. 

Today, I did a practice marathon and chose Highlands Ranch as the location.  The steep hills hammered me, but I am pretty sure St. George will not be nearly as strenuous.  I was 2-miles from the finish when I hit the Boston cut-off.  Not  bad, but since I was running 10-minute miles at that point, I was 20 minutes short of my target time. 

I'm not giving up, though.  I want this so bad I can taste it.  Here is a little video that I enjoyed watching to help me get geared up.  If you'd like to know what to expect on race day, please watch. 

Enjoy. 

6 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Wow, you are amazing.

Grandma Pearl said...

Allie,
You are our nutty grand daughter but we love you very much and we are behind you ALL THE WAY!!!!!
You always do what you set out to do so Boston be prepared for the cutest runner from Colorado!!!!!
I really enjoyed the video.
Love, Grandma Pearl

Jarom and Melissa said...

Good luck! We are pulling for you to get your target time. You can do it!

Lori Thornbrue said...

My heart is breaking for you. Your name is in the temple for the next two weeks. I have faith! We all love you so much. Oh, how I wish I lived nearer. (Not that that would help your knee, but I could can for you, play with kiddo's, do homework, etc.)

Angela said...

Allie, we are praying that your knee gets better really really fast!! My advice: 600 mg Ibuprofen round the clock for 3-4 days along with ice for 3 days, 20 mins on every hour at least. Get the swelling from the impact of bones jostling each other to go away and you'll have a better chance at walking. Hope tomorrow is a better day! Love, Annie

Kristen said...

I'm just finding out that you are injured. Yikes!! Praying you'll heal quickly. I was also going to tell you that I hope someday to run a 5k and not feel like I'm dying at the end! :) I can work up to that. And who knows, maybe someday I'll even make it up to a 10k! That's about my limit, though. We'll see. You are amazing!! Love you!!!