Sunday, September 19, 2010

Buena Vista, CO Autumn Color Run

(Update: They just posted the race results. It turns out I came in at 1:55:59. I was in 64th place of 226 total runners, 30th place of 150 women, or 12th place of the 50 women in my age division.)
A few weeks ago a girlfriend from an old ward invited me to join a group of friends to do a half marathon. When I asked James if he thought I could run 13 miles cold, he said,"Probably." We both laughed at the lunacy of the situation. The fact that I'd consider doing something like that without training suggests I have at least one screw loose... All the colors made me want to hunt down a Thanksgiving turkey right then and there. (Although, I did leave one cooking in the oven for James when he got home.)

View while driving the course the night before.

A road trip with 7 girls will cure most problems...


Out to dinner at the worst restaurant on the planet.

Just before loading the buses. It was a pretty chilly morning. Two of us didn't feel like spending an extra $20 just to be matchy-matchy. (For the record, Staci, I was wearing shorts under those pants!)
Over the all, it was a tough race. The first five or six miles ran along dirt road in a mountain canyon. Simply stated, it was a broken ankle waiting to happen. There were very few aid stations, so I was glad I had brought my water belt. I finished in 2 hours, 59 seconds. Considering the rugged terrain, an ankle injury that I sustained two weeks ago, and the fact that I hadn't trained, I was pleased with a 9-minute per mile average. I came in first of my friends (also not too shabby).
Thanks, ladies, for the memories. And thank you, James, for giving me the time off.

8 comments:

Lisa Thornbrue said...

It looks pretty up there. Congrats on doing so well!

Michaelangelo said...

GORGEOUS! And I am SO impressed that you can just up and run 13 miles and not be dead afterward! You are amazing!

Grandma Pearl said...

Allie,
You are amazing and what fun and what a thoughtful thing to do for James. Have a turkey in the oven. Pretty thoughtful thinking.
Your attire looked OK to me.
I just found out that they had a half marathon in Cedar City the same day as yours. It was the first one and seemed to go well. Food for thought.

The scenery was beautiful, thanks for sharing and I'm sorry the restaurant was so bad. :(

scooping it up said...

that top shot if the trees is amazing. i laughed at your pants and was about to comment until i read your disclaimer. thank you. ;)

Lori Thornbrue said...

You are amazing......always!

Jarom and Melissa said...

The scenery was beautiful, and sounds like a good time besides the bad restaurant and the ankle injury waiting to happen. Good for you for doing it cold turkey and doing so well.

Rabecca said...

I can't even muster up the energy to run around my block since running the half in the spring with you, way to go! With that scenery no wonder you were in the mood for a turkey:)

Lisa Thornbrue said...

Great results!!!!!!!