Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Business Trip

I'm stuck for most of the week in a place called Ko Olina on Oahu. What a bummer.


This is the view from my hotel room. I slept with the window open last night so I could hear the ocean (the noise from the luau died down not long after dark).


The hotel has a private lagoon. This is the view from my window. There are four of these man-made lagoons in a row. I'm not a runner, but I took a jog this morning along the path that connects them.


This is the lagoon from the running path at ground level. Early in the morning, there were mongoose hopping around like squirrels. Apparently, they were introduced to kill off the non-native snakes, but they find the native flightless birds easier prey.


The Marriott Ihilani Hotel. I'm on the 9th floor right above the pool.


I'm not sure if these are available for the taking. I haven't had a chance to swim across the lagoon yet. I'm here to work, after all.


I ended the day with a few laps in the pool and a dip in the spa.


This garden surrounds the hotel. The pond is full of tropical fish.


And hammerhead sharks. The longest one is about three feet.

13 comments:

scooping it up said...

um, i don't see how any part of this is ok seeing that allie should be there as well.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Now that's what I am talking about!

Lori Thornbrue said...

James, how wonderful. Of course it would be better if your wife was there and you weren't on business, but I'd take a business trip like that. I wonder if Michael would like me to go check out Hawaii for any interesting, sell-able native plant life?

Jarom and Melissa said...

I feel so sorry for you.

Lloyd Family said...

What a bummer. Lance has a bummer of a trip next week to a little fishing hole in ALASKA. We are equally sad for him.

Lori Thornbrue said...

From Lisa: Coooolll! Hammer head sharks are so weird!!!

Michaelangelo said...

Hey, why didn't you pack all of us in your suitcase? GORGEOUS!

Randy said...

You know when MY job sends me to places like this (and my job does by the way) we make sure the fun part is built into the program. Sounds like your jobs sucks to me...

Rabecca said...

I haven't decided if I'll let Paul see this :} Glad you had time to wind down. Maybe a future place for an adult getaway, maybe an anniversary???

Kristen said...

How you suffer.

Lori Thornbrue said...

Waiting for Halloween pictures :)

angel said...

Wow! What a beautiful place!

Steven Ting said...

I love Ko Olina. I try and go there once a year.