Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Tribute to Nine Years of Marriage

WARNING: The following images may be disturbing for those who either missed or forgot the "ugly" years where adolescence still held a firm grip. And while there are a few more gray hairs and unfortunate curves, I'd like to believe that 10 years later we are better looking than ever.


So, without further ado I give you the top 10 reasons why I love James:


#1 James has an oddly funny yet dry sense of humor.


The first day of school my freshman year at BYU, we ended up in the same line. A discussion ensued and I commented that I hated it when professors brushed over students' comments like they were stupid questions. James responded, "I hate it when students ask stupid questions." Umm. Okay, you are a jerk. And oh, by the way, just how smart are you?








#2 James is an amazing artist.


Sometime into the middle of the semester, I showed James what I thought was a neat picture a guy in my ward had drawn of me for his art class. James said I should have him draw a picture of me sometime. So, the competition was on and James produced this:


This is a picture of us at BYU's homecoming. We went out that night not because we liked each other, but more so because we wanted to annoy Steve Ting. It worked. (Although, we did end up kissing that night.)#3 James is very supportive when it comes to MY callings.


He draws posters and pictures, babysits for lengthy meetings, loads and unloads the car when I decorate an entire church for a silly primary activity, and wears ridiculous outfits just for pioneer day.



#4 James is a lot of fun on Halloween.


Aside from his crazy pumpkins which, unfortunately are not pictured, he sure has some good costume ideas. He also enjoys decorating the house with a harvest theme, and even sewed the head for our porch's scarecrow. I mean come on, what woman can boast that her husband enjoys shopping for nick-knacks as much as her? (In case you can't blow up the pictures, I am a tennis player from "Havahd" and James is wearing a dollar for a bow tie. His label reads, "THE" Business School. That was our first year in Boston.)#5 James is smart.



I just assume that in any group, James is probably the most capable person to get a job done well and the most efficiently. As such, he is very good at providing for our family. He works very hard and writes very insightful talks for church. (He has to write one this week, and although he wishes he had more time to come up with something insightful, it will be undoubtedly great.)#6 James brought me to Boston where I learned it is more important to be good than it is to be smart. He also brought me to Tucson, one of the warmest, happiest places we have ever lived.
#7 James builds beautiful backyards.

He admits that he would make a career change if he knew he could make as much money building things as he does blowing them up. #8 James is thoughtful on EVERY major holiday. Valentine's Day? Check. Anniversary? Check. My birthday? Check. Columbus day? Umm. Give me a minute, but I am sure he did something...Oh wait, I do remember. He reminded me that Marie didn't have school that day and that I could go back to bed.
#9 James bought me $4,000 braces, but loved me anyway even when my teeth were crooked.

#10 James is a good daddy. In fact, just this week he came home from work just to unlock Ben from the bathroom when I was incompetent.




What can I say? Millions of women across the world were robbed when I made James a married man.
Happy 9th, James. Let's make it a zillion more.


13 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

I am glad that you love him as much as I do.:)
He is a terrific person--------but isn't he lucky, so are you!!!

scooping it up said...

nice. i really liked it. wish we had some of those pumpkin shots though. James is brilliant, funny, and we are so glad he is forced to be in the Guthrie bunch forever.

Michaelangelo said...

Happy Anniversary! You are both fantastic people! I woke up this morning and thought to myself "why does August 13th sound like such a familiar day?" About mid-afternoon I finally realized why. Momnesia strikes again. Isn't it amazing to think back on how much has happened in the last 9 years? Wow :)

Lori Thornbrue said...

Annie has a good excuse for having 'momnesia'....Cade has been crying for HOURS every day. Is this because his leg really hurts.....or just because he is tired of sitting......or just because he can? Like Annie said, "It is rather trying....." I couldn't calm him down when I was there, either--so I took the Grandma Priviledge and left!!

shansen20 said...

Ya'll have always been great together, even back when adolescence still had its hold!

Melissa said...

James, I am sorry Allie made you come home to unlock the bathroom. I would have told her that I would be home at 5 and to tell Ben to drink from the sink.

Mean Mommy said...

Awwwwww! Adorable!

Anonymous said...

Allie,
I can say amen to all of the qualities you hd for James, but behind every good man is an amazing woman and that is you.
Sorry I missed your anniversary but if I'd get your family group sheet together I'd know it along with any other note worthy news.
I love your pioneer clothing, I've always wanted a bonnet and never had one.
Love,
Grandma Pearl

Kristen said...

congratulations! happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Amazing tribute. I am glassy eyed. My heart is full because Allie is so well taken care of. You forgot the reason I love James: He brought my baby girl to Colorado. AND he married Allie even if she may turn out just like her MOM!

angel said...

Wish we got to see you wonderful people more often! It feels like it's been a long time, but October is coming!!!
Happy Anniversary!
I babysat a niece and two nephews yesterday, so I had five children for the day -- ages 7, 5, 2, 1, and 0. I kept thinking about how amazing Allie is to take care of almost that many every day. It was fun, and I look forward to it with all my heart, but when do you get the chance to shower, eat, and sleep?

Lloyd Family said...

I love James, too. He was also an amazing brother to grow up with. I miss having him around and to see his amazing talents.

I must admit, thought, I likewise have an amazing husband-- smart, dedicated, funny, creative-- what man has a pressure canner as a bachelor?

Aren't we lucky!

Anonymous said...

Allie,
I can see why you love James so much. You have a great family.
I don't think your primary costumes are horrible, think that is your heritaage and you all looked great. I've always wanted a bonnet to wear on Pioneer Days etc.
Love,
Your crazy grandma Pearl