The campsite was about 1/2 mile from the parking lot on a nice trail that went about half way around the lake, then up a few hundred yards into the trees. It took several loads with the wagon to get our stuff back and forth.
This tree marked the entrance to the campsite. We felt that Levi was with us, but who is Lacy?
It's not camping without S'mores. Thank goodness for baby wipes to take care of sticky fingers (Ben calls them feeners) and faces.
The girls enjoyed sitting by the fire. Ben liked the idea of fire but was not too sure about the physical reality.
One of the kid's favorite activities was gathering firewood. Here, Tessa tries to break a log with her foot. She was unsuccessful.
This is Ben, enjoying some forgotten event.
On Saturday morning, Grace woke up crabby. She was sent back into the tent with Grandma, and the next thing we knew, she was non-responsive and turning blue. Uncle Jarom kept her from passing out completely and eventually revived her with some warm Tang. We think it was a combination of the altitude, a cold, and low blood sugar.
Here is Grace napping later that morning.
This is the view from where the trail leaves the lake heading up to the campsite.
Ben really wanted to figure out the fishing pole, but it will be a few more years. The goal of this trip was to teach him how to use a tree. He was really excited about it, but got frustrated after he, Allie, and Jarom got it in the face. The poor kid's hole is only partly open, so it not only shoots straight up but also travels at least 12 feet. Allie thought boys were just messy (he actually does a pretty good job on his potty chair, but it involves using his hand as a shield). Time for a trip to the doctor.
James caught four fish--all about nine inches long. They were caught with worms because (1) it was a bit too breezy in the morning for an amateur fly fisherman and (2) he is convinced that fly fishing is like a pyramid scheme--more about peer pressure than the actual catching of fish.
This is Tessa holding the only fish that wasn't released. Ben wouldn't hold it at first ("It's too flipping.") but ultimately wouldn't let it go. He liked to open its mouth and make it roar and at one point kissed its head.
The fish was eventually eaten, and thus a poor, little brooke trout fulfilled the measure of its creation.
Early Friday evening, a deer wandered by about 20 feet from our camp. The kids followed it a ways through the woods, and it didn't seem like it was in too big of a hurry. On the drive home, we saw a whole herd of elk in a meadow.
We stopped for ice cream in Estes Park and made it home just over 24 hours from the time we left. There are now two exhausted parents, four happy kids, and lots of good memories.
We would like to thank Randy, Jane, Jarom, and Melissa for putting up with us. We had a really good time.
7 comments:
I love it...
Wow, Tessa's hair is getting LONG!
How I miss you!
I'd do it again with all of us, but at sea level. How 'bout the beach next time? Then maybe Staci would join us! It was a delight. One of my favorite memories was reading The Box Car Children by the campfire. I learned something about the kids: Marie has grown up; she is an excellent helper. Several times she was a gopher, go for wet wipes, bottles of water, softies etc. She never complained! Tess is very responsibe, she took to gathering firewood with great enthusiasm. Ben conquered his fear of fire and fish. You have courage little buddy! Grace she is the sparkle of the party, next time she goes with an IV. Uncle Jarom can have that assignment. Thanks for a wonderful weekend!
Can Staci have an IV with valium in it too? Then I might enjoy myself. It looks great, we love camping, just not with babies. Gimme a few more years to lighten up and for my kids to get older. Poor Gracie, camping lesson: Screaming 10 month olds are trying to tell us something huh? I *hate* when my kids are crying and then I find out there is really something wrong.
Joshua calls them "feeners" too.
Camping sounds fun! We haven't done that this year.
We did set up the tent inside when I was babysitting last week, but Andrew and I slept in our nice comfortable bed! (Well, I didn't actually sleep all that much. Joshua had a hard time going to sleep, one of the little girls wet the bed three times, and Elisabeth was up for an hour. However, when I was in bed, it was comfortable.) :)
I guess I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been comfortable. I fell asleep rather quickly after each adventure.
Poor Grace. That is so scary. James, you better not let Lance hear your philosophies on fly fishing. To him, it is an art and a skill.
Glad everyone had fun. Sounds like a great trip.
Thanks, Allie, I loved your folks pictures/comments, too!
Post a Comment